Polk County Tourism
Polk County Tourism Committee
Address: 604 Goodyear Street, Rockmart, GA, 30153
Phone: (770) 684-8760
Events: Polk County Calendar of Events
Major Annual Events: Description of Major Annual Events
609 S. Main Street, Cedartown, GA, 30125
Another location where visitor information can be obtained is at The Depot in Rockmart, which houses The Cedartown Welcome Center. The Cedartown Depot was created as a replica of Cedartown's long-demolished Seaboard Air Line Railway depot. It was constructed to serve as the home of various offices, as well as the Downtown Cedartown Association and the Chamber of Commerce Satellite Service Center. The Silver Comet Trail passes next to The Depot.
Nestled in the heartland of Northwest Georgia between Atlanta and Chattanooga, our community offers rich history, exciting cultural attractions, great shopping and recreational activities for your family or clients.
Polk County, which was once Creek Indian land, was originally part of Paulding County but legislative moves took parts of three counties and created Polk in 1851. Named for President James K. Polk, Polk County has three cities - Cedartown, Rockmart, and Aragon.
Cedartown, now a "Main Street City", is a registered site in the National Register of Historic Places. This well defined district, featuring turn of the century buildings, is making a strong comeback. Downtown is the centerpiece of a very active community that has a promising agenda. The Cedartown area was at one time the possession of the Creek Indians. Legend has it that the Creek Indians engaged in a ball game with the Cherokee Indians for the rights to the land. The Creeks lost and the Cherokee moved into a land rich in resources bounded by the Tennessee line on the north, and the Chattahoochee River on the south. The Cherokees gave up their home in 1832 to white settlers.
Located in the heart of the Coosa Valley area of North Georgia, Rockmart's name was derived from the two words Rock and Market, for the town was once a scene of roofing slate business. This area has an abundance of slate, limestone, iron shale, and clay. Brick was also manufactured in Rockmart from the early 1900s until the late 1920s.
In 1929, Aragon was referred to as an "Industrial Utopia" because of the employment and recreation offered by one of the original industrial enterprises of Polk County, The Aragon Mills. Aragon has since become an incorporated town with a government body consisting of a mayor and four council members.
Polk County History
Historic Driving Tour-Polk County
Visit the Polk County Tourism Committee at the Rockmart location or the Cedartown Welcome Center at The Depot for your Self-Guided Driving Tour map of the historical sites in Polk County. Below are some examples of Polk historic sites.
Van Wert Methodist Church
Built in 1857 by Rev. Wm. Wesley Simpson, Van Wert Methodist Church is one of the oldest structures in the county. The Euharlee Valley Historic Society recently renovated the structure.
Location: 604 Goodyear Street, Rockmart, GA, 30153 (770) 684-8760
The Old Mill
This structure was built by slave labor in 1848 for Asa Prior, who came to Polk County in 1837. Originally used as a mill, the structure was operated as a restaurant by Mr. & Mrs. Robert Stephens, from 1960-1991
Location: 12 Old Mill Road, Cedartown, GA, 30125 (770) 749-1652
Sterling Holloway Birthplace
A Georgia Historic Marker proudly pays tribute to the birth site of one of Cedartown's most famous citizens, the beloved actor, Sterling Holloway. The character behind the quickly recognized Winnie the Pooh voice began his early childhood years right here with his 'neighborhood variety shows' and from there went on to become a highly acclaimed American 'Star'.
Location: 301 S. College Street, Cedartown, GA, 30125 (770) 749-1652
St. James Episcopal Church
Built on West Avenue in 1883, this is the oldest church still in use in Cedartown. The church has been maintained in its original state except for the outside color. Sterling Holloway, the voice of Winnie the Pooh, grew up in this church.
Location: 302 West Avenue, Cedartown, GA, 30125 (770) 748-2894
The Round House
Built by Jake Davitte in the early 1900's, The Round House is said to be the first cement house in Georgia. The house has four rooms upstairs and four rooms downstairs and all eight are identical, with a chimney in the middle and a fireplace in each room. Each room has an outside door with steps, two windows and doors connecting each room to allow the air to circulate.
Location: 438 Jones Avenue, Rockmart, GA, 30153 (770) 684-8760
Located on Elm Street, the Rosehill Cemetery’s land was donated to the town of Rockmart. The gazebo, constructed in 1891 is now considered one of the town’s most recognizable historic landmarks. The cemetery site also offers a spectacular view across Rockmart.
Location: Elm Street, Rockmart, GA, 30153 (770) 684-8760
Polk County Historical Society Museum & Gardens
Formerly Hawkes Children's Library, this museum contains an abundance of Polk County’s history. The building was designed by Neel Reid, a famous Georgia architect, and was built in 1924. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: 205 N. College Street, Cedartown, GA, 30125 (770) 749-0073
Polk County Courthouse #2
At 100 Prior Street, this building was designed by Otis Clay Poundston in Neoclassical Revival Style and constructed in 1935. It was originally Cedartown’s City Hall, the Police and Fire Station, and the Auditorium, but is now used as a courthouse annex.
Location: 100 Prior Street, Cedartown, GA, 30125 (770) 749-1652
Aragon Mill Site
Built and chartered in 1898, this mill was one of the largest in the state; so large in fact, that in 1979, when it closed down, Si Kahn wrote the song “Aragon Mill” to morn the loss of one of Georgia’s main employers. In 1864, troops from Sherman’s forces camped out at the spring located here in hopes to outflank Johnson’s army at Allatoona, which resulted in the battle at New Hope Church and Dallas.
Location: 50 East 1st Street, Aragon, GA, 30104
Created in 1832 from the village of Cleantown, Van Wert was made the seat of Paulding County. It was known for slate, iron, gold and fertile farmland and served as the county seat until Polk County was formed from part of Paulding County in 1851 and the county seat was moved to Cedartown. Van Wert was awarded a Historic Township of Georgia by the Department of Community Affairs.
Location: Hwy 278, Rockmart, GA, 30153 (770) 684-8760
Polk County Attractions
Silver Comet Trail
Picture riding yo